thatguywhoexists-deactivated201 asked: what advice do you have for someone that has had writers block for the past 6 or 7 years?
this will sound harsh but you’re probably not a writer.
writer’s writer every day. it’s ok, not everyone is.
but if you consider yourself one, get off your ass and get back to work!! write about why you haven’t been writing . anything. just write.
"Writers block for six or seven years." What a doofus.
(Beg to differ but) writing shouldn’t be forced, it should come naturally. As a writer myself, there have been weeks, months that I could not produce anything at all—that seemed sufficient enough to my level of satisfaction, so I’d constantly scrap it. However, after those weeks/months of absolutely nothing, when I least expect it suddenly I find myself writing the most profound words out of nowhere. Someone that has writer block for 6-7 years may go crazy trying to search for inspiration, when instead inspiration would find them when they stop looking. This may be controversial but it doesn’t make sense to put a timeline on how often someone writes before they are considered a ‘writer’.
writing is a discipline, a practice, a religion …
i would love to consider myself all kinds of things but unless i’m actually actively doing them i am probably kidding myself.
Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.- STEPHEN KING
Quantity produces quality. If you only write a few things, you’re doomed. - RAY BRADBURY
Brian is right.
Brian is being far more diplomatic about this than I would ever be.
The excuse of waiting for inspiration leads to exactly what is described; 6 to 7 years of producing nothing. This is the difference between being a writer and someone who likes to write.
A writer fucking writes. Whether she likes it or not, whether she wants to or not, whether she’s inspired or not. She pushes the boulder, like Sisyphus, until the damn thing rolls or shatters or reverses and crushes her. But she doesn’t sit there and wait until it feels good or it feels right or until the stars are right or anything else. Writing takes discipline infinitely more than it takes talent. That’s the dirty little secret of being a writer. You want to be a writer? Put your ass in the chair and put in your 10,000 hours and your 100,000 pages and then you’ll be a writer.
And yes, I know how harsh this sounds. I know what it sounds like. But it’s the difference between being a writer and simply being someone who feels good about putting their words down when they feel it.
If you want to argue that waiting is necessary, it’s what’s required, then I would offer you’re making excuses for why you’re not writing.
Writing isn’t a profession and it isn’t a hobby. It’s a fucking debilitating illness. It’s an addiction. You either write or you don’t. But you don’t sit around waiting for inspiration. It’s a craft, and you hone it, the way you would hone any other craft — by doing it.
Now get the hell off my lawn.
- hallopino reblogged this from brianmichaelbendis
- sconesforjustice likes this
- kateosaur reblogged this from kateordie
- esme11 likes this
- catgirlxlrg likes this
- fabeld reblogged this from davidfincher
- many-wings reblogged this from moniquill
- saffuric likes this
- redcharlie likes this
- noxxedout reblogged this from thewasabipea
- meelowdy reblogged this from booksandghosts
- eelhound likes this
- valentinapoole reblogged this from booksandghosts
- wyowood reblogged this from booksandghosts and added:
- pithia likes this
- booksandghosts reblogged this from mostlysignssomeportents
- ladyarachne reblogged this from theamazingspiderboy and added:
- haqime likes this
- theamazingspiderboy reblogged this from brianmichaelbendis
- jasonmehmel likes this
- shadesofmauve likes this
- moodybread likes this
- drawgirldraw reblogged this from kateordie
- stevbuc reblogged this from isleofapplepies
- rough-sketch likes this
- givemetherivaillebooty reblogged this from starline
- givemetherivaillebooty likes this
- pansyforyourthoughts reblogged this from ophiucha
- specialagenthagens likes this
- theravenphoenix likes this
- sabakunogaaraai likes this
- sadlyhuman reblogged this from brianmichaelbendis
- readinglist32 reblogged this from warrenellis
- veganmangos likes this
- snevilly likes this
- lemonqueers reblogged this from aoawaywego and added:
- aoawaywego reblogged this from barry-graham
- ashymack likes this
- mexicanstudent reblogged this from readdreamwrite
- readdreamwrite reblogged this from lilithsaintcrow
- faltodeidea reblogged this from whiskeysnarker
- anomalycoefficient likes this
- coeurdenoel likes this
- faradportee reblogged this from brianmichaelbendis
- gonzolumberjack likes this
- uselessknight likes this
- coverscroll likes this
- lusilly likes this
- modelrabbitenju reblogged this from mustardwketchup