chrishalder asked: Alan Moore recently said "I hate superheroes. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean". What is your opinion on what he said?
As always I feel bad for him.
to be fair the entire quote was: “Now, see, I haven’t read any superhero comics since I finished with Watchmen. I hate superheroes. I think they’re abominations. They don’t mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of writers who would actively expand the imagination of their nine- to 13-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, superhero comics think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it’s nothing to do with them. It’s an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term graphic novel. These readers latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of Green Lantern or Spider-Man without appearing in some way emotionally subnormal. This is a significant rump of the superhero-addicted, mainstream-addicted audience. I don’t think the superhero stands for anything good. I think it’s a rather alarming sign if we’ve got audiences of adults going to see the Avengers movie and delighting in concepts and characters meant to entertain the 12-year-old boys of the 1950s.”
as I have said before, he is more than entitled to his opinion but it is my opinion that you have to read something before you get to have an opinion on it. how does he know the books are terrible if he hasn’t seen one since 1985? which I don’t believe, by the way.
it is my opinion that his history of unfulfilling financial deals he has made for himself has brittled him.
I know he thinks he sounds cool but to me he sounds like an old crabby man and it’s all the more upsetting because he is clearly capable of higher thought. his work is the work of a man working on a higher level so it’s sad that he has closed his mind to the possibility that other people can write well and women and children love all kinds of literature.
I get mail from children every day who love these characters and love these comics and I think we as a society have put the women who love comics question to bed at the last women of Marvel panel in New York City.
and I thought the Nemo graphic novel was one of the best things I’ve read all year. thankfully I’m able to separate the writer from the work as long as the writer isn’t abusing others. I don’t need my authors to have the same opinion of things as myself to enjoy their work.
but it would be great if he wasn’t so self-congratulatory and demeaning towards other authors.
I’ve also had just about enough of Grant Morrison and Alan Moore trying to be the biggie and tupak of the British Isles/ Scotland. I find it all douche chilly.
- goodbyealoysius reblogged this from brianmichaelbendis
- excentricwhiterabbit likes this
- interstellardiamonddust likes this
- theomarmoreal likes this
- idlnmclean reblogged this from wolvensnothere
- gimelresh likes this
- wolvensnothere reblogged this from mythsandmedia
- mythsandmedia reblogged this from brianmichaelbendis
- eastofathenassoul likes this
- ohcenarae likes this
- doctorcakeray reblogged this from myvisagewasted
- anonymos25 likes this
- freckleonmypalm likes this
- theworldthatscoming reblogged this from brianmichaelbendis
- bkmurder101 reblogged this from brianmichaelbendis
- victorvondood reblogged this from brianmichaelbendis
- inthefuturethereisnofuture reblogged this from brianmichaelbendis
- cardcaptorswagkura likes this
- myvisagewasted reblogged this from brianmichaelbendis
- plastic-and-wire likes this
- mutescifan31w reblogged this from brianmichaelbendis
- seekingthespheres likes this
- yareviewnetwork reblogged this from brianmichaelbendis and added:
- ltread likes this
- theliterator reblogged this from brianmichaelbendis
- mattiagentili likes this
- twolettersfromepic likes this
- evilmarguerite likes this
- thebigboard likes this
- dangerktdanger likes this
- m-v-b likes this
- cipherpol likes this
- mrbeefy023 reblogged this from brianmichaelbendis
- foshwayze reblogged this from brianmichaelbendis and added:
- foshwayze likes this
- cgozali likes this
- best-tiger likes this
- traveltowardsunrise likes this
- pannozzi likes this
- kungfugrift likes this
- mutescifan31w likes this
- epigenetics likes this
- scouthouse likes this
- jhustoe likes this
- nicolasfowler likes this
- lickthespatula likes this
- cucumissacris likes this
- doinkies likes this
- roadworksbicyclerepairs likes this
- violetimpudence reblogged this from dirtyriver and added: